June 11, 2009

spoon busk - loop side


Inserting the spoon busk was not as difficult as I expected it to be. Dealing with the curve was not a problem. The fiddly-ness of the whole thing was brought on by my making it a separate panel because of the mesh.

The busk needed to lay on top of the cording, so to make certain I had everything set up correctly I laid the pieces out the way they would be when finished.


Then I marked the spaces for the loops.


The pieces where sewn together.


The seam allowance was graded and pressed, then the busk was slid in place. I pinned it so it was snug, and made a groove along the edge of the busk.


I rolled the fabric out 1/8 inch from the groove, folded it under, and pressed it. Then I folded the raw edge of the busk facing under 1/4 inched and pressed it flat.


With the seam allowances tucked under, the busk was slipped back in and basted in place.


And finally, sewn.
 

I sewed around the top and bottom curves with white thread to finish it off. Next up, the stud side

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found this post. I have an 1887 corset pattern with the busk pictured over the bottom ends of the first set of boning channels and some of the cording. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. Now I know how it was done. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete