May 5, 2009

and re-patterning


Aiming for perfection, once the angle of the top edge was changed and the busk panel was patterned, I felt compelled to re-pattern the corded sections. The whole point of a pattern is to serve as a plan so you don't have to figure everything out again. If I make the pattern pieces correctly this time I can just cut and sew the next. Well, at least in theory.

The corded piece of the center front panel will be smaller than what I originally patterned since the busk panel covers 1/3 the width of the first piece. I traced the center front piece onto paper and with a tracing wheel and  marked where I had positioned the cording. I folded the seam allowances in on the busk panel pattern and laid it against the center front. Then I marked the busk panel on the new pattern piece.


I added 1/2 inch seam allowance to each side and the bottom edge. (The new plan is to cut the piece on a fold and sew the cording between the folded fabric. I think this will be more efficient than dealing with two little pieces.) I re-patterned the second corded piece the same way.


Back to sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. There is a lot involved here. Will you sell your patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patterns are really already available in Corsets and Crinolines. I'm just scaling them up and altering them to fit me. I am working on transferring the 1904 ribbon corset to a digital file, maybe I'll manage to grade it so it's in different sizes. I'd love to see what others come up with once the patterning is figured out.

    ReplyDelete